Sunday, November 18, 2012

Carpinteria Bluffs and Blooms

Blooming in Carpinteria, 9 x 12, oil on linen board

Out of curiosity I googled Carpinteria Bluffs. A top hit: Yelp review " Heaven on earth! This is a GORGEOUS place to walk your dogs or go for a jog. I especially ..." I couldn't agree more. 

Venturing out on the bluffs offers something new each time: falcons, bunnies, falcons pursuing bunnies. When our daughters were little we used to love to watch the seal rookery from atop the bluffs. I think Caroline and Kate still like to walk out there, but probably wouldn't admit it.

I didn't realize until recently that there are flower fields right next to the trails. This painting is from a recent class taught by Thomas Van Stein. We wheeled our gear out to the end of the bluffs and set up in the shade. With so much gorgeous scenery, it was tough for me to settle on a subject. With my back to the ocean (weird) I picked these flowers as my main event. I am glad to have captured the scene, by now these flowers a long gone.

Learn more about the Carpinteria Bluffs: http://www.carpinteriabluffs.org/wp/

No comments:

Post a Comment