Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winter Sky Transfiguration


Winter in Santa Barbara is a great time for watching sunsets. Local Edhat community forum has posts nearly everyday of someone's dusk or dawn photos. I love to paint at sunset, but rarely get the chance. On December 7 I made it out there to capture two beautiful scenes. There was a little sliver of the waxing crescent moon visible shortly after sundown. It took quick work to get everything in before it was pitch dark and impossible to work. Luckily it wasn't too cold! 
This quote always comes to mind (yes, I really did memorize it) when I am out painting a sunset. It is from Willa Cather's My Antonia. One of my favorites: "That hour always had the exultation of victory of triumphant ending, like a hero's death -- heroes who died young and gloriously. It was a sudden transfiguration, a lifting up of day."
December Crescent Moon, 10 x 8. Winter Evening Sketch, 5 x 7.

1 comment: