Monday, January 3, 2011

Shift in Point of View



I was recently reminded how art can be meaningful. 
My friend Leslie Turnbull asked if I could be commissioned to paint a scene that was dear to her husband. The view is from the Douglas Family Preserve overlooking Hendry's Beach, Santa Barbara. This was to be a surprise Christmas gift. I was thrilled to be asked. I enjoyed the process of creating a special gift for him. That was in the fall of 2009. He was presented with "Afternoon Shift" that Christmas. 
Fast forward to November 2010 - I received the following email from Leslie: "Over the weekend we took a walk down by Hendry's, and Paul told me just how much your beautiful painting of 'our' beach means to him. Whenever he's having a rough day back in the Valley, he goes in his office and looks at the picture and it makes him happy :)"
Wow. That email showed up in my inbox at the right moment, just when I could use a shot in the "painting" arm. That was a gift for me to get to know how "Afternoon Shift" was doing out in the world. And that it had meaning for Paul.
I wish everyone a happy and heathy new year filled with beauty. 
Thanks Leslie :)


Afternoon Shift, 18 x 24, oil on canvas board





No comments:

Post a Comment