Sunday, April 3, 2011

Painting 101



This Friday past I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and head north of Santa Barbara to paint a scene that has caught my attention over the years. These two statuesque eucalyptus trees stand watch over Highway 101 just south of El Capitan Ranch. I pulled over to a favorite spot and set up to paint. I usually paint in pleasant locations affording me great views, a little social interaction, and lots of peace. This location, not so much. I had the 101 at my back. Truckers and drivers cat-calling and honking. Motorcycles revving engines. I had to hold on to my easel when the semis came roaring by. Surprisingly, occasional visitors  pulled over to see what I was up to. I had the privilege to meet Cory Rubright who was returning home from a photography adventure up in Santa Maria. He came by to swap stories and business cards. Check out his work from the Betteravia Sugar Beet Factory. I like the haunting way he captured a historical spot frozen in time. His photos are beautiful and evocative. You never know what you are going to find on the 101.

This painting, Grand Indifference, 11 x 17, is a quick sketch that I am planning on finishing in the studio.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy - It is beautiful!! Glad to hear that you are safe after spending the day on the 101!

    Staci Terrace-Goldfarb

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure meeting you the other day and to have the opportunity to see your beautiful work. Thanks again for the very kind words. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

    Take care,

    Cory

    ReplyDelete